- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Baha'i Founder's Shrine and Gardens
Baha'i Founder's Shrine and Gardens Review
For the Baha'is, this is the holiest place on earth, the site of the tomb of the faith's prophet and founder, Baha'u'llah. First you'll pass the gardens' west gate, open only to Baha'is. Take the first right (no sign) and continue to the unobtrusive turn, 500 yards up, to the north (main) gate. Baha'u'llah lived in the red-tile mansion here after he was released from jail in Akko, and was buried in the small building next door, now the Shrine of Baha'u'llah. It's best to go on weekends, when the inner gardens and shrine are open. Going through the black-iron gate, follow a white gravel path in the exquisitely landscaped gardens, with a fern-covered fountain and an observation point along the way, until you reach the shrine. Visitors are asked to dress modestly. The shrine is on Route 4, about 1 km (½ mi) north of the gas station at Akko's northern edge.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
This is a trip report describing a two week vacation in Israel and Jordan (one week per country). Read more
I was wondering if I could ask for advice regarding accommodation and sightseeing on a trip I am taking to Israel with a group of 9 other work colleagues on a business/personal trip.
Our itinerary Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more