- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The beautiful beach at Dor is fit for a king—not surprising since it has a royal history. Founded 3,500 years ago, biblical Dor was once the maritime capital of the Carmel coast. The best harbor between Jaffa and Akko, it was a target for many an imperial ambition, from the ancient Egyptians and the "Sea Peoples" through to King Solomon and on down. It was renowned in antiquity for its precious purple dye; reserved for royalty, this hue was extracted from a mollusk that was abundant along the coast. Today, as you watch fishing boats bob in the sheltered bays, you can complement your sun tanning with a swim to a small offshore island, a visit to the diving site, or a break at a pub.
Nahsholim-Dor at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Haifa and the Northern Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's