- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bedouin Market Review
Although the Negev is still home to the Bedouin, many of today's Bedouin women are less inclined than yesterday's to stay home weaving. An eagle's eye and a saint's patience will guide your search through the bundles and stacks of rather ordinary stuff at the Bedouin market, where you can find goods made by elder generations. The market starts at daybreak each Thursday and lasts until early afternoon; south of the Old City, it's on the eastern side of the huge outdoor market site near the bridge. (A goat and sheep sale takes place once in a while.) The best time to visit is 6 am, an hour or so later in winter. Walk to the back, passing coffee and tea sellers. For sale, if you can find them, are embroidered dresses, yokes, and side panels from dresses, woven camel bags, bales of wool, rugs, earrings, bracelets, amulets, and nose rings, coin headbands (used as dowry gifts), tassels, copperware, and finjans (Bedouin coffee pots).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
This is a trip report describing a two week vacation in Israel and Jordan (one week per country). Read more
I was wondering if I could ask for advice regarding accommodation and sightseeing on a trip I am taking to Israel with a group of 9 other work colleagues on a business/personal trip.
Our itinerary Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more