- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Succah in the Desert
At a Glance
- homemade vegetarian breakfasts and dinners included in the price
- great for stargazing
- can be cold during the desert nights
- difficult to reach without a car
- must arrive before nightfall
- bathrooms are shared, which is not for everyone
Check Rates from our Partners
Succah in the Desert Review
In the middle of nowhere (but accessible by unpaved road) is this out-of-the-ordinary encampment of huts (like the portable dwellings used by the Children of Israel when they wandered into this desert). On a rocky hillside are eight isolated dwellings, 150 meters apart, each made of stone and wood, with a palm-frond roof. For the rugged traveler seeking the starkness and purity of the desert, it's an appealing example of ecotourism. Each succah has a carpet on its earthen floor and a mattress with cozy blankets; household essentials include a tea corner, a clay water jar, and copper bowls for ablutions. The units are solar-powered, and there's an ecological-toilet cabin. Guests eat in the communal succah. You can ask a staff member to pick you up from outside the Ramon Inn. Plan to arrive before dark.
- Address: On road to Alpaca Farm, 7 km (4½ miles) west of Mitzpe Ramon, Mitzpe Ramon, 80600 | Map It
- Phone: 08/658–6280
- Website: www.succah.co.il/en
- Location: Mitzpe Ramon and Makhtesh Ramon
- 8 units sleep 2, 1 unit sleeps 10, all with shared bath.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi All --
Finally posted my Jordan & Israel trip (April 2012) report. Read more
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
How's the water and swimming in the Medi during late April along the beaches of Tel Aviv? Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more