- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Succah in the Desert
At a Glance
- homemade vegetarian breakfasts and dinners included in the price
- great for stargazing
- can be cold during the desert nights
- difficult to reach without a car
- must arrive before nightfall
- bathrooms are shared, which is not for everyone
Succah in the Desert Review
In the middle of nowhere (but accessible by unpaved road) is this out-of-the-ordinary encampment of huts (like the portable dwellings used by the Children of Israel when they wandered into this desert). On a rocky hillside are eight isolated dwellings, 150 meters apart, each made of stone and wood, with a palm-frond roof. For the rugged traveler seeking the starkness and purity of the desert, it's an appealing example of ecotourism. Each succah has a carpet on its earthen floor and a mattress with cozy blankets; household essentials include a tea corner, a clay water jar, and copper bowls for ablutions. The units are solar-powered, and there's an ecological-toilet cabin. Guests eat in the communal succah. You can ask a staff member to pick you up from outside the Ramon Inn. Plan to arrive before dark.
- Address: On road to Alpaca Farm, 7 km (4½ miles) west of Mitzpe Ramon, Mitzpe Ramon, 80600 | Map It
- Phone: 08/658–6280
- Website: www.succah.co.il/en
- Location: Mitzpe Ramon and Makhtesh Ramon
- 8 units sleep 2, 1 unit sleeps 10, all with shared bath.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My first day in Israel, (Tel Aviv on a Saturday), was pretty quiet. Read more
This is a trip report describing a two week vacation in Israel and Jordan (one week per country). Read more
I was wondering if I could ask for advice regarding accommodation and sightseeing on a trip I am taking to Israel with a group of 9 other work colleagues on a business/personal trip.
Our itinerary Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more