The name Latrun is thought to derive from "La Toron de Chevaliers" (the Tower of the Knights), the French name of the Crusader castle that occupied the crest of the hill in the 12th century. Eight centuries later, in 1940, the British erected the concrete fortress that today holds the museum. In the 1948 War of Independence, Israeli forces attempted five times to capture the fortress from Jordanian soldiers. The names of 142 Israeli soldiers who fell in these unsuccessful attempts are engraved on the walls. There are more than 100 assorted antique tanks on which children love to climb.
Rte. 3, 1 km (½ mile) south of Rte. 1, Latrun, 99760, Israel