- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Bir Wahed Review
This hot spring and picturesque lake amid dunes were created accidentally by exploratory drilling for oil in the late 1980s. The firm found water instead. A cement tank filled with the spring's hot, slightly sulfurous water is relaxing and therapeutic. The nearby reed-lined lake appears like a mirage at the end of a hot day of dune bashing and is perfect for a cool swim. A permit to visit this desert site is easily arranged through the tourist office or safari operators. Most visitors arrive by jeep around sunset.
- Address: 15 km (9 mi) southwest of the town of Siwa, Siwa
- Location: Siwa
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more