- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
At a Glance
- traditional building and styling is in keeping with the location
- the terrace café is a great place to while away an evening over cups of Bedouin tea
- no air-conditioning
- there are few amenities on-site
- most rooms lack private patios or balconies
Shali Lodge Review
This traditionally styled hotel made from red stone, karshif, and palm trunks has rooms leading off an internal courtyard. Rooms are simply yet stylishly furnished using Siwan handicrafts (carpets, baskets, and blankets). Fans are used to keep the interiors cool. Some rooms have terraces overlooking the gardens, for which there's no extra charge, so ask for one when you book. The interior communal lounge has palm trees growing out through the ceilings, and the canopies of these same trees provide shade for the upstairs terrace and restaurant.
- Address: Shar‘a al-Seboukha, Siwa
- Phone: 046/460–1299; 02/2736–7879 in Cairo for reservations only
- Location: Siwa
- 16 rooms, 4 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- No credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
I regret not listening to my friends that advise me not to go there . Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more