- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Antiquities Office Review
The local antiquities office sells a combination ticket that includes admission to the five major sights—the Mummy Exhibit, the Tombs of Zed Amun Ef Ankh and Bannentiu, the Tomb of Amenhotep Huy, the Temple of Alexander the Great, and the Temple of Ain al-Muftillah.
The Mummy Exhibit at the Antiquities Office displays some of the finds from the Valley of the Golden Mummies including several gilded mummies. In a typically provincial style, the Greco-Roman mummies are plastered, gilded, and decorated with scenes from the underworld. These mummies were not prepared in the same way as those in the Valley of the Kings, resulting in some degradation. The heat and humidity in the rather makeshift museum is also not helping to preserve them either.
- Address: Up the hill from the main street, near the hospital, Bawiti
- Phone: 02/3847–1900
- Cost: Combination ticket for Mummy Exhibit, the Tombs of Zed Amun Ef Ankh and Bannentiu, the Tomb of Amenhotep Huy, the Temple of Alexander the Great, and the Temple of Ain al-Muftillah £E45
- Hours: Antiquities Office Sat.–Thurs. 8–5; Mummies Exhibit Sat.–Thurs. 9–4
- Location: Bawiti
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand.... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more