- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Black Desert Review
South of Bawiti lies the Black Desert, a Martian landscape of orange sand and black peaks formed by a string of ancient volcanoes. Off-road travel is possible for short distances in a regular car, but a four-wheel-drive vehicle is required to climb the sand dunes and explore at length; so is a guide, who can direct you to the desert's less obvious sights. Visitors can climb one of the scorched peaks, or arrange a trip to dunes where some outfitters offer sand surfing.
Toward the southern end of the oasis, the Black Desert yields to a series of springs that provide enough water for small-scale agriculture projects, including an experimental cactus farm, and tiny frontier settlements.
- Address: About 25 km (16 mi) south of Bawiti, on road to Farafra Oasis, Bawiti
- Location: Bawiti
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
A friend of mine says his guidebook (published by another company) lists viagra as an item that tourists cannot bring into the country. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more