- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Bir al-Ghaba Review
The "forest spring" is a hot spring traditionally reserved for visitors. It lies in a small forest of eucalyptus trees, reached by a picturesque drive—or hike—from Bawiti. The rough track passes oasis gardens where farmers plant, grow, and harvest a variety of crops interspersed with fruit trees.
On the way to Bir al-Ghaba, about 7 km (4½ mi) from Bahariya is Bir al-Mattar, a tepid spring with a slightly sulfurous odor; it's on the left of the road and is a great place for a quick dip. After covering more desert, you enter a garden and, suddenly, Bir al-Ghaba appears. Camping is welcome here, and several primitive "camps" offer basic accommodation in thatched huts with no electricity. Bring your own food and plenty of bug repellant if you intend to overnight here.
- Location: Bawiti
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
I regret not listening to my friends that advise me not to go there . Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more