- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Aquasun. Owned by desert rally driver Hisham Nessim, the company arranges tours and has its own lodging at Bir Sitta, 6 km (4 mi) west of town. It definitely has the upper hand on longer excursions to the Great Sand Sea and Gilf Kebir, though these should be arranged well in advance to give them time to secure the necessary permits. Bir Sitta. 010/667-8099.
Badawiya Expedition Travel. The tour-operator arm of the Badawiya Hotel offers pricey day trips to the local sites, including Bir Sitta, Lake Abu Nos, and a camel farm for about £E1,500 per vehicle (maximum four passengers). Sunset trips to the White Desert cost £E700 per vehicle including park fees, while an overnight stay can run up a £E1,500 tab. Shar‘a Jamal ‘Abd al-Nasir, next to the post office, Qasr al-Farafra. 092/751–1163. www.badawiya.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's