- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Farafra is the least populated of the four southern oasis, but perhaps the most geologically diverse, combining elements of Bahariya to the north, and Dakhla to the south—plus a few of its own. Its most celebrated attraction, the White Desert, is a plain of surreal, wind-scoured chalk monoliths that capture the imagination. The oasis also boasts several hot springs, dune fields, and a small lake that attracts migratory birds.
In pharaonic times Farafra was known as ta-iht, the "Land of the Cow." Today, agriculture still dominates the local economy and only a handful of people are involved in tourism. As a result, there are few touts, and few tourist facilities, but plenty of genuine smiles.
Farafra Oasis at a Glance
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe