- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Straddling a low hill, Balat retains much of its medieval Islamic character. The fortified village's covered alleys and wooden gates once protected its inhabitants from fierce sandstorms and desert raiders. Many of the mud-brick houses are still inhabited and display carved acacia-wood lintels similar to those found in Al-Qasr.
Balat at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's