- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
El Gouna is the dream of an Egyptian businessman who has utterly transformed a secluded bay and its surrounding resources. In 10 years, this virgin seacoast has been transformed into an established resort town and also a settlement for more than 10,000 full-time residents. Equipped with its own wells in the mountains, a hospital with a hyperbaric chamber for dealing with divers' decompression problems, four power plants, a school, a department of the American University in Egypt, and an impressive array of services, this environmentally friendly resort town is practically self-sustaining. El Gouna caters to wealthy Egyptians and expat workers who come to unwind from the hustle and bustle of Cairo, plus year-round tourist arrivals.
Designed around a series of seawater lagoons, the heart of El Gouna is al-Qafr, also known as Downtown, a modern rendition of a traditional Egyptian settlement. To the north is Abu Tig, a majestic marina filled with multimillion-dollar yachts designed to re-create the atmosphere of the French or Italian Riviera. A second, larger marina with accompanying hotels, apartments, and golf course was rolled out in 2010. South of al-Qafr is El Gouna's original golf course, which is surrounded with lagoon-side villas and apartments. Visitors have the choice of 16 hotels and an excellent range of water-sports activities.
El Gouna at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Sinai Peninsula and Red Sea Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hurghada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $132+/Nt Save with Expedia, $33/night less
- Book 5-Star Hurghada Marriott Red Sea Fr $89+/Nt Expedia
- Hilton Hurghada Long Beach in May: $120 & Up — $120 Save with Expedia, $80/night less
- SUNRISE Holidays in May: $93 & Up — $93 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Magma Apartments - Hurghada Dream in May: $29 & Up — $29 Save with Expedia, $19/night less