- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Bur Said (Port Said)
Seaside Bur Said is a charming and lively town with a decidedly European feel—and fading glamour from the era of the big ocean liners. Much of the architecture is French colonial in style, giving the city a slight resemblance to the New Orleans French Quarter. It is a pleasant town to roam around in and to enjoy the seafront and canal-side promenades—think of it as a less-crowded, more tranquil alternative to Alexandria—but it isn't the kind of place that screams for a stop if you're in Egypt to see antiquities.
The city was founded in 1859 by Khedive Said, in time for the start of excavation. Much of the area is built on sand fills from the digging of the canal. During the Arab-Israeli wars, most of the city was bombed, and parts of it still haven't been restored. At the north end of town, Bur Said's Mediterranean beach has limited appeal, in part because of its unswimmable, polluted waters.
Bur Said (Port Said) at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Sinai Peninsula and Red Sea Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hurghada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $132+/Nt Save with Expedia, $33/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Hurghada this May Fr $89+/Nt Expedia
- Hurghada Savings! Book at Hilton Hurghada Long Beach Fr $120+/Nt — $120 Save with Expedia, $80/night less
- Hurghada Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $29+/Nt — $29 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Book in Hurghada: Save this May Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Expedia