- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
The Upper Nile Valley
Traveling along the Nile takes you through both space and time. Ancient Egyptian civilization as we know it came alive around 3100 BC, when Narmer united Lower and Upper Egypt, and breathed its last breath in the 4th century AD during the simultaneous rise of Christianity and collapse of both paganism and the Roman empire. The monuments you see are the accretions of centuries of dynastic power, ritual practice, artistic expression, and foreign interference that continually adapted and renewed an inspiring system of beliefs.
You don't need to know any of this to appreciate the beauty and refinement of the paintings in Seti I's temple at Abydos or the majesty of the temples at Karnak. Just consider the high level of societal organization that it took to conceive and create what the ancient Egyptians left behind. Looking back at their civilization from the third millennium of the Christian era, we are gazing eye to eye with our equals in ambition, achievement, and, in many ways, technology.
The Upper Nile Valley at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Nile Valley and Luxor
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor Fr $144+/Nt Expedia
- Iberotel Luxor in May: $44 & Up Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Luxor at Saint Joseph Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Expedia
- Luxor Savings! Book at Sonesta St. George Luxor Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Expedia