- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Luxor Souk Review
Luxor's main souk is a long, narrow street running between concrete dwellings and lined with shops where turbaned men and black-robed women hawk their wares. Several restaurants and coffee shops have relocated here, having been moved out of their former locations by Luxor's new city-planning program. In fact, the souk itself has undergone a makeover, starting with new flagstone pavement, now that this is a pedestrian-only street. You'll find brass trays, alabaster vases and bowls, leather poufs, jewelry shops, and racks of brightly colored cotton scarves and galabeyyas—mixed with hardware stores and great piles of fruits and vegetables in hemp baskets. All is redolent of pungent spices, incense, tangy mint, and the aroma of something wonderful grilling in nearby kitchens. The souk is open daily from 7 am until midnight.
- Address: Shar‘a al-Souk, off Abu al-Haggag Plaza, Downtown, Luxor
- Location: Luxor
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more