- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings Review
While there's no experience quite like standing in the burial chamber of Egypt's short-lived "Boy King," the grave of Tutanhkamun is least—in size and splendor—of this valley's decorated tombs. Those of Ramses VI (KV 9) and Ay (KV 23) are known for their beauty and detail. And, like Tut's, theirs require an additional admission charge. Despite soaring temperatures in the valley and, surprisingly, even hotter conditions inside the tombs, the Valley of the Kings receives such a concentration of visitors that these precious monuments are endangered. Dr. Zahi Hawass, head of Egyptian antiquities, has plans: Re-create the most-visited or delicate tombs in a nearby location, starting with Tut's; light the valley and open the tombs for night viewing, thus spreading visitors throughout the day. Another project is already complete: The Carter Rest House, where Howard Carter lived, is open for tours (free, at this writing).
- Address: Thebes
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: Ticket for three "regular" tombs £E80, Tutankhamun's Tomb £E100, Tomb of Ramses VI £E50, Tomb of Ay £E25
- Hours: Daily 6 am–5 pm
- Location: The Theban Necropolis
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more