- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
If you are not taking a cruise, you can arrange land-based tours to visit the sights along the Nile between Luxor and Aswan, the most important of which are Edfu and Kom Ombo. You can also easily travel to the less-visited sights of Abydos and Dendera, both north of Luxor, on a daylong guided tour, either with a small group or a private guide and driver.
If you haven't prearranged tours, your hotel's concierge or tour desk should be able to make recommendations or handle arrangements. If not, your best options for guided tours in Luxor are Thomas Cook and American Express. Both are particularly flexible in arranging tours to suit a variety of desires and budgets, even arranging last-minute Nile cruises, but any of the offices can arrange day trips. Just remember that the tourist police require at least 24 hours' notice of any intent to travel overland beyond Luxor and the West Bank. Most of the tour companies have conveniently located offices at hotels or along the Corniche and Shar'a Khaled Ibn el-Walid.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Guided Tours
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's