- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
All railway lines from Cairo depart from and arrive at Ramses Station, 3 km (2 mi) northeast of Maydan Tahrir. Trains traveling to and from Alexandria, the Nile Delta towns, and Suez Canal cities use tracks 1-7 in the station's main hall. Trains to Al Minya, Luxor, and Aswan depart from platforms 8, 9, 10, and 11 outside the main hall.
Cairo and Alexandria have several convenient daily connections, with a travel time of 2 to 3¼ hours depending on the type of service. Tickets cost between £E19 and £E50, depending on the class of service.
Abela Egypt operates the long-distance and sleeper trains that connect Cairo, Luxor, and Aswan. Tickets for these trains should be purchased at least 10 days in advance, either in person at the station or from a travel agent or tour company.
Abela Egypt. 02/2574-9474 for reservations. www.sleepingtrains.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Beautiful Egypt! Flights to Cairo From 696 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Explore Cairo For Less! Book Fr $168+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $47/night less
- Save in Cairo: Book 3 Nts in May at President Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- Cairo 5-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1153 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $4,099 Expedia