- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
All railway lines from Cairo depart from and arrive at Ramses Station, 3 km (2 mi) northeast of Maydan Tahrir. Trains traveling to and from Alexandria, the Nile Delta towns, and Suez Canal cities use tracks 1-7 in the station's main hall. Trains to Al Minya, Luxor, and Aswan depart from platforms 8, 9, 10, and 11 outside the main hall.
Cairo and Alexandria have several convenient daily connections, with a travel time of 2 to 3¼ hours depending on the type of service. Tickets cost between £E19 and £E50, depending on the class of service.
Abela Egypt operates the long-distance and sleeper trains that connect Cairo, Luxor, and Aswan. Tickets for these trains should be purchased at least 10 days in advance, either in person at the station or from a travel agent or tour company.
Abela Egypt. 02/2574-9474 for reservations. www.sleepingtrains.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's