- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
By far the most efficient mode of public transportation in Cairo, the Metro is clean, reliable, and cheap. Tickets cost from £E1; there are no multiday passes. Trains run from South Cairo (Helwan) to North Cairo (Heliopolis), with sublines to Shubra, Ataba, and Abdin. One of the most useful lines is the cross-Nile line from Giza to Shubra. The Metro runs from 5:30 am to midnight in winter (to 1 am in summer), with trains arriving every 5 to 10 minutes. Each train has cars in the middle reserved for women and children. Women traveling alone are advised to sit here, especially during rush-hour travel, to avoid being hassled or groped.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's