- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Attempting to rent a car and drive oneself around Cairo is something we would discourage in the strongest terms. If you manage to find (and fend) your way driving through the aggressive streets of Cairo, parking will prove to be an even greater challenge. Either you will spend half your day looking for a parking place or you will be ripped off by a monadi (one of the self-employed valet parking boys). Just do yourself a favor and forget about driving.
If you simply must rent a car and drive it yourself, you must be at least 25 years old, possess an international license, and have nerves of steel.
Major car-rental agencies have offices in Cairo; cars come with or without chauffeurs.
Budget Rent-a-Car. Shar'a Ring, Mirage City, Cairo. 012/235-5290. www.budget.com. Cairo International Airport. 02/2265-2395.
Europcar. Cairo International Airport, Cairo. 016/661-1027. www.europcar.com.
Hertz. Ramses Hilton, 1115 Corniche al-Nil, Cairo. 02/2575-8914; 02/347-2238 for central reservations office. www.hertz.com. Cairo International Airport. 02/2265-2430. Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel, Giza. 02/3377-3388. Giza Pyramids Park Hotel & Resort, Giza. 02/3838-8300.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe