- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Cairo is a large, sprawling city of some 15 million people. The oldest parts of the city are the Coptic quarter (Mari Girgis), the Islamic quarter, and the Citadel. The Downtown area along the river dates from the mid-19th century. Newer-planned areas such as Heliopolis and Mohandiseen are more European in feel and scope. Giza is really a relatively new development, having been built between the pyramids and modern-day Cairo, so that there is scarcely a gap now.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's