This medieval landmark was the last great Mamluk architectural work before the Ottomans occupied Egypt. Built by Sultan al-Ghuri, who constructed the Wikala al-Ghuri three years later, al-Ghuriyya stands on either side of Shar'a al-Mu'iz where it crosses Shar'a al-Azhar. The surrounding area was the site of the Silk Bazaar, visible in David Robert's famous 1839 etching of the same name.
On the right side of the street (facing Shar'a al-Azhar) is the madrasa; opposite it stands the mausoleum. The former is a large-scale project, with almost Brutalist proportions (picture large, modern, exposed-concrete buildings). Note the unusual design of the minaret, its square base topped by five chimney pots.
The mausoleum was rebuilt several times during al-Ghuri's reign. After spending a reported 100,000 dinars on the complex, al-Ghuri was not buried here. He died outside Aleppo, and his body was never found. The bodies of a son, a concubine (both victims of a plague outbreak), a daughter, and Tumanbay II (his successor) are interred in the vault.
Qasr al-Ghuri, Shar'a al-Mu'iz, Cairo, Egypt