- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Great Sphinx Review
Carved from the living rock of the pyramids plateau during the 4th Dynasty, the enigmatic limestone Sphinx is attached Pharaoh Khafre's funerary complex. The figure of a recumbent lion with a man's face wearing a nemes (traditional headdress of the pharaoh) was thought to be Khafre in the guise of Ra-Harakhte, a manifestation of the Sun God. The role of the Sphinx was to guard the vast royal necropolis that incorporated the pyramids and mastabas (large trapezoidal tombs) on the Giza plateau, and it's visited as part of the longer visit incorporating these other monuments at the site. It's possible to get close to the Sphinx along a wide viewing platform that has been built around it, but climbing is forbidden and there's no entry into the small interior chambers (most of the sphinx, however, is solid rock).
- Address: Fayyum Rd., Giza, Cairo
- Cost: Sphinx £E60 (includes both Pyramids and Sphinx), Sound & Light Show £E75
- Hours: Daily 8–6:30; Sound & Light Show (in English) Oct.–Apr., Mon.–Wed. and Fri.–Sat. 6:30 pm, Thurs. 7:30 pm, Sun. 9:30 pm; May–Sept., Mon.–Wed. and Fri.–Sat. 8:30 pm, Thurs. 9:30 pm, Sun. 11:30 pm
- Location: Giza
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more