- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Bab al-Nasr (the Nasr Gate)
Bab al-Nasr (the Nasr Gate) Review
This gate is similar to Bab al-Futuh, except that two square towers flank it. On one of the towers is the inscription: "tour corbin", a memento of the Napoleonic expedition, which renamed all the gates after French army officers during its occupation. (Bab al-Futuh also has "tour junot" and "tour perrault" carved into its two rounded towers.) The wall between the two gates is fun to explore. Tunnels with slit windows to provide light once connected the entire wall and its 60 gates with rooms and storehouses within the girth of the wall, making it possible for an army to defend the city without ever having to leave the wall.
- Address: Shar'a Bab al-Nasr, Islamic Cairo North, Cairo
- Location: Islamic Cairo North
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more