- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Complex of Amir Shaykhu
Complex of Amir Shaykhu Review
Flanking Shar'a Saliba, this mosque and khanqah were built by the commander in chief of Sultan Hassan's forces and form a well-integrated whole. The mosque was badly damaged by shelling during the Ottoman takeover because Tumanbay, the last Mamluk sultan, hid here. Nevertheless, the qibla liwan still has the original marble inlay work. Today it is an active mosque frequented by people from the neighborhood.
The khanqah, with its central courtyard surrounded by three floors of 150 rooms, once housed 700 Sufi adherents. As in the mosque, classical pillars support the ground-floor arches. To the left of the qibla wall are the tombs of Shaykhu and the first director of the school.
- Address: Shar'a Saliba (just east of Shar'a al-Suyuiyya), The Citadel, Cairo
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily, dawn–dusk, except during prayers
- Location: The Citadel and Sayyida Zaynab
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more