- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Madrasa of Sultan al-Zahir Baybars I
Madrasa of Sultan al-Zahir Baybars I Review
Al-Zahir Baybars' reign (1260–77) marked the real beginning of the Mamluk state, due in large part to his skills as a commander, administrator, and builder. It was he who halted the Mongols' western expansion by defeating them at Ayn Jalout in Palestine (1260), and he staged a series of successful campaigns against the Crusaders. All that survives of this once great madrasa is the restored corner across the street from Qalaun's mausoleum. Check out the leopards above the metal door; they were Baybars' insignia (baybars means "leopard lord" in Qipchaq, a Circassian language).
- Address: Shar'a al-Mu'iz, Islamic Cairo North, Cairo
- Phone: No phone
- Location: Islamic Cairo North
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more