- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Coptic Patriarchate of Cairo
Coptic Patriarchate of Cairo Review
There are now four active monasteries in Wadi Natrun: Deir Anba Bishoi, Deir al-Sourian, Deir Anba Baramus, and Deir Abu Maqar. Deir Abu Maqar has long been one of the most important Christian institutions in Egypt; as a result, permission to visit is rarely granted without a very compelling devotional reason—even Copts find it almost impossible to get in. The monasteries are administered by the Coptic Patriarchate of Cairo. The first three are open to visitors—mostly Coptic pilgrims come here to pay their respects or to baptize children. It isn't necessary, as it has been in the past, to get advance permission from the patriarchate in Cairo; however, it is still worth calling ahead to verify opening hours, because they vary based on the fasting schedule (devout Copts fast the majority of the year).
- Phone: 02/682–5374; 02/682–5375; 02/682–5376 for information from the patriarchate
- Hours: Roughly 9 am to 8 pm (6 pm in winter)
- Location: The Wadi Natrun Monasteries
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more