- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Al-Rifa'i Mosque Review
Although it appears neo-Mamluk in style, this mosque was not commissioned until 1869, by the mother of Khedive Isma'il, the Princess Khushyar. The project was completed in 1912, but at least from the outside, it seems more timeworn and less modern in style than the 14th-century Sultan Hassan Mosque next to it.
True to the excessive khedivial tastes, the inside is markedly different from the other mosque: where Sultan Hassan is relatively unadorned, al-Rifa'i is lavishly decorated. Inside the mausoleum are the bodies of Khashyar, King Fu'ad (father of Farouk, the last king of Egypt), other members of the royal family, Sufi holy men of the Rifa'i order (hence the establishment's name), and the last shah of Iran.
- Address: Maydan Salah al-Din, Sayyida Zaynab, Cairo
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: £E25
- Hours: Daily 9–4, except at prayer time
- Location: The Citadel and Sayyida Zaynab
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more