- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Bab al-Futuh (the Futuh Gate)
Bab al-Futuh (the Futuh Gate) Review
To the left, inside the entrance to the is a small passageway that leads to a stairway up to the roof of the mosque. From here, you can get access to the Bab al-Futuh, one of the main gates of the Islamic city. Built in 1087 by Badr al-Gamali al-Gayushi, it was designed to protect al-Qahira from the Seljuk Turks who held Syria and were threatening Egypt. But the gate was never put to the test.
- Address: Shar'a al-Mu'iz, Islamic Cairo North, Cairo
- Location: Islamic Cairo North
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more