- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
St. David Building
St. David Building Review
Founded in the 1880s by a Welshman as the Davies Bryan department store—Cairo's largest at the time—this building has an odd, almost witty roofline reminiscent of a fortress. The facade retains the cursive D and B of its former owner who, patriot that he was, decorated it with Welsh symbols, to which later occupants have added about a hundred little Venus de Milos.
The antique, ground-floor Stephenson Pharmacy, which is open Monday through Saturday 9:30-9, is not to be missed. It was once one of the best in the city (according to the 1929 Baedeker's guide) and still displays advertisements for ancient cure-alls.
Also in the St. David is the beloved Anglo-Egyptian Bookstore, which has a pleasant search-through-the-stacks ambience. The bookstore is open 9-1:30 and 4:30-8, except for Sunday, when it's closed. 02/2391-4237. www.anglo-egyptian.com.
- Address: Shar'a Muhammad Farid at Shar'a Khalek Sarwat, Downtown, Cairo, 11111
- Location: Downtown and Bulaq
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Egypt Experience IExplore
- Egypt Family IExplore
- Egypt & Kenya Experience — $7,749 IExplore
- The Nile Revealed — $6,895 IExplore
- Egypt Family — $1,849 IExplore
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
Its been a week since my 7 day trip to Egypt with my boyfriend, and I better write it all down lest i forget! Read more
Ok, I'm off to Egypt in Novermber to take part in the Cross Egypt Challenge.
Now you're probably asking what the heck is that? Well I'm a scooter rider and this is Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more