- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
St. David Building
St. David Building Review
Founded in the 1880s by a Welshman as the Davies Bryan department store—Cairo's largest at the time—this building has an odd, almost witty roofline reminiscent of a fortress. The facade retains the cursive D and B of its former owner who, patriot that he was, decorated it with Welsh symbols, to which later occupants have added about a hundred little Venus de Milos.
The antique, ground-floor Stephenson Pharmacy, which is open Monday through Saturday 9:30–9, is not to be missed. It was once one of the best in the city (according to the 1929 Baedeker's guide) and still displays advertisements for ancient cure-alls.
Also in the St. David is the beloved Anglo-Egyptian Bookstore, which has a pleasant search-through-the-stacks ambience. The bookstore is open 9–1:30 and 4:30–8, except for Sunday, when it's closed. 02/2391–4237. www.anglo-egyptian.com.
- Address: Shar'a Muhammad Farid at Shar'a Khalek Sarwat, Downtown, Cairo, 11111
- Location: Downtown and Bulaq
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more