- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Mosque of Mu'ayyad Shaykh
Mosque of Mu'ayyad Shaykh Review
The Sultan Mu'ayyad chose this site because he was once imprisoned at this location. During his captivity, he swore that he would build a mosque here if he was ever freed. He made good on his promise in 1420 and tore down the infamous jails that once occupied the site.
The mosque's facade is remarkable only in that the ablaq (the striped wall) is black and white, less common than the usual red and white. The famous entrance of the Sultan Hassan Mosque below the Citadel inspired the high portal. The beautiful bronze-plated door was a little more than inspired; Mu'ayyad had it lifted from the mosque of his better-known predecessor. The two elegant identical minarets rest against the towers of Bab Zuwayla, which makes them appear to be a part of the gate and not the mosque.
The interior space is well insulated from the bustle of the surrounding district by high walls blanketed in marble panels. The wood and ivory minbar is flanked by a fine columned mihrab with marble marquetry of an exceptional level of quality. The gilt and blue ceilings are also noteworthy.
- Address: Gam'a al-Mu'ayyad Shaykh, Shar'a al-Mu'iz at Bab Zuwayla, Islamic Cairo South, Cairo
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily, dawn–dusk, except during prayers
- Location: Islamic Cairo South
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more
· News & Features
From the depths of the Diwan bookstore to the flavors of a basterma croissant, author Pauls Toutonghi ... Read more
Egypt has lured world wanderers for millennia with some of civilization’s grandest treasures.... Read more