The main part of the Temple of Amada, dedicated to Amun-Ra and Ra-Harakhte, was constructed in the 18th Dynasty. Various 19th-Dynasty pharaohs repaired it and added to it. Between 1964 and 1975 it was moved to its current spot, about 2 km (1 mi) away from its original location.
Amada is noted for two important historical inscriptions. One dates to the reign of Amenhotep II; it appears on a round-topped stela on the eastern wall of the sanctuary. The inscription describes
a definitive military victory over rebellious chiefs in Syria. The other is on a stela carved from the northern thickness of the entryway and dates to the reign of King Merneptah (1212–1202 BC). It describes how the king successfully repelled a Libyan invasion of Egypt in the early years of his reign.