- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
This Nubian-style restaurant sits on one of the small islands around the cataracts of the Nile. Big picture windows, as well as patio seating, command scenes of river rapids, the gargantuan boulders of nearby Elephantine Island, and the desert beyond. Those views are upstaged only by what comes to your table, starting with fresh-baked brown flatbread cut in quarters, accompanied by a plate of mixed pickles, just like in Egyptian homes. Dishes of baba ghanoush, cucumber salad, and moussaka (just grilled eggplant) are decorated with carved vegetables. The quart-sized lamb tagine arrives still bubbling hot, topped with nicely browned onions. Live Nubian music adds extra spice to your dinner. Call to have the restaurant's boat pick you up, or just flag a felucca.
- Address: On small island directly in front of the Sofitel Old Cataract Hotel, El-Dokka Island, Aswan
- Phone: 097/910-8000
- Location: The West Bank
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
Its been a week since my 7 day trip to Egypt with my boyfriend, and I better write it all down lest i forget! Read more
My friends and I booked a Princess Mediterranean cruise in early May. Read more