- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
At a Glance
- large pool (heated in winter) and deck
- there are no main thoroughfares passing close to the hotel, so it's relatively quiet
- walking here uphill from town can be really tiring in the heat, so it's best to take a taxi from central Aswan (or the hourly hotel shuttle)
- a small number of rooms on the lower floors may pick up noise from the entry drive
Check Rates from our Partners
Basma Hotel Review
Occupying an airy promontory above Aswan, the Basma is itself a high point in Nubian-influenced contemporary architecture. A lobby accented with lively turquoise fabrics begins a gallery walk to interiors and grounds graced with sculptures, murals, fountains, and mosaics—many created by local artists. The large swimming pool and generous deck face the Nile, as do other common exterior spaces. Standard rooms have tile floors scattered with Nubian rugs. White sheets with mango-colored pillows and throws stand out against the dark wood of contemporary headboards and dressers. Sliding doors open onto private balconies, which may overlook the pool and gardens, offer a glimpse of the Nile, or take in the Nubia Museum, the Fatamid Cemetery, and the city. The friendliness of the staff comes across as genuine, an extension of local hospitality.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more