- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
The Old Dam
The Old Dam Review
The British built the first Aswan Dam between 1898 and 1902 using blocks of local granite. The structure stands more than 130 feet tall, some 8,000 feet long, and has a capacity of 7 billion cubic yards of water. In its day, it was one of the world's largest dams, and one of the sights to see in Aswan. Over the years it was heightened, but eventually was deemed inadequate. These days the High Dam dwarfs it, and you can only drive over the Old Dam, because no stopping is allowed. The Old Dam is five minutes south of town, on the way in from the airport.
- Location: The Aswan Dams
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
World Travel Expert advice - (No Travel Bias!)
I Plan on traveling on either September or October 2014!
Need help with budget of $3,000 (US dollars), (Includes RT Air!), and have not decided where to Read more