- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Arabic Phrases
Fodor's Washington, D.C. 2014
Al Farouk Review
Named for King Farouk (who ruled from 1936 to 1952), this restaurant used to be his summer office. The decor is definitely fit for a king: alabaster columns, china, and stained-glass windows. The gorgeously printed menu mixes old photos of royal weddings and affairs of state with dishes on an internationally regal theme. Look for tender foie gras Louis XV (foie gras in a port-wine sauce) or decadent Caviar Raspoutine (caviar selection with blinis) served on a bed of ice. The best entrées are the sharkesseya d'Istanbul (chicken stewed in a subtle walnut sauce) and the filet blanc et noir Ras el-Tin (veal and beef steaks with foie gras and mushrooms).
- Address: El-Salamlek Palace, Montazah Palace grounds, Montazah, Alexandria, 21411
- Phone: 03/547–7999
- Location: Eastern Shoreline
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I hope this trip is not considered too old to report. Read more
Just returned from 12 great days in Egypt. Read more
A friend of mine says his guidebook (published by another company) lists viagra as an item that tourists cannot bring into the country. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more