- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Kalahari Plains Camp
At a Glance
- stunning desert scenery all year round
- abundant game in season
- interpretive walks with the local San Bushmen
- tents get very hot in summer, even with the insulation
- there's no air-conditioning
- food isn't very imaginative
Check Rates from our Partners
Kalahari Plains Camp Review
This is one of Wilderness Safari's newest camps and its first in the great Kalahari Desert. Situated in the desolate northern part of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, which is one of the largest game reserves in the world and bigger than Switzerland, overlooking a huge pan, you'll stay in one of 10 en-suite innovatively insulated canvas tents designed to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. Accommodation is basic but comfortable and if you can stand the desert sun you can sunbathe on your rooftop deck, or sleep under the dazzling desert stars. This camp is a 100% solar-powered camp and is totally green—no more plastic bottles of water, but your own personal one that you'll fill up when and as you need it from the filtered water containers. Game is abundant, particularly in the summer months when seasonal herds of plains game move in and are followed by opportunistic predators: great black-maned Kalahari lions, leopards, cheetahs, brown hyenas, caracals, and jackals. Birdlife is spectacular with over 220 species including threatened species such as the lappet-faced vulture and the Kori bustard, one of the world's heaviest flying birds.
- Address: Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- Phone: 27–11/807–1800 in South Africa
- Location: The Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- 10 tents.
- Rate includes all meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
"Where are we going on holiday next August?" Read more
We are just back from a green season mobile safari to The Central Kalahari and Moremi Game Reserve with Moses Ntema, owner of Unlimited Tours (www.unlimitedsafari.com) and Safaris in Maun, Botswana (https://www.facebook.com/UnlimitedSafari). Read more
Family of 5 heading out to Johannesburg arriving 26.7.14 want to hire a 4x4 and self drive from SA into Botswana, then into Zimbabwe, then back to Johannesburg to depart 25.8.14 (31 days). All attempts Read more
· News & Features
For many, an African safari represents a once-in-a-lifetime dream trip. ... Read more
He's written some of our favorite series—No.... Read more
A safari is a once-in-a-lifetime trip.... Read more