- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Model Motswana
The Batswana (singular: Motswana) are renowned for their courtesy and dignity. A perfect role model is the now world-famous Motswana lady detective, Patience Ramotswe of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series—published by Random House—by Alexander McCall Smith, who introduced millions of readers all over the world to the unchanging wisdom of a solid, traditional society. These books were made into a popular TV series for BBC and HBO in 2009.
Fans can now follow in Mma Ramotswe's footsteps by taking a half- or full-day walking tour of her favorite haunts throughout Gaborone, Botswana's capital. You'll visit her house in Zebra Drive, as well as Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors (owned by Mma Ramotswe's eventual husband, JLB Matekoni), the village of Mochudi, and sometimes, if available, a visit to the Orphan Farm, where her two adopted children were living. And, of course, you'll sample her favorite red bush tea. Tours can be arranged through African Insight (www.africainsight.com), and prices range from BWP450 to BWP780.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe