Trip Idea Categories:
Empty Nesters Guide
You're unencumbered when the kids finally leave home, free to see and do the things that might have been off limits with a family in tow. Whether you're looking for high culture or simply a place to retire to, here are a few of our favorite places to explore for empty nesters.
- Did the kids used to gripe about museums? No more of that! What better place than New York City to dive into some serious art appreciation on your own terms. You'll have the Met, the Guggenheim, and MoMa all at your fingertips. When dark falls, catch a play at Lincoln Center or just enjoy people-watching at a bar. This time you get to leave FAO Schwartz and American Girl Place off the itinerary.
- New Orleans, considered by most to be the Birthplace of Jazz, has a rich musical heritage that resonates through every street. Food, music, festivals, and walking are a quintessential part of this city, so you're guaranteed never to be at a loss for things to do.
- Scotland is a paradise for those interested in hiking and biking as well as golf. History buffs will love exploring Glasgow's parks and medieval sights, or even spending some time on genealogical research.
- Peru offers adventure, history, and a chance to taste the best cuisine anywhere in South America. Before you take off for Cusco and the train ride to Macchu Picchu, a night out in Lima will expose you to Peru's legendary cuisine. Alternatively you can explore Lake Titicaca from the hub town of Puno, Peru's folkloric capital.
- Why not combine your vacation with a hunt for an inexpensive vacation/retirement home? Panama and Costa Rica both have vibrant expat communities. If it's the island life you're after, consider Turks & Caicos or the Cayman Islands. All have villas and condos for sale at a good price.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe