I grew up in the shadow of the Appalachians in western Maryland. I received my B.A. in English literature from Washington College and moved to Los Angeles, where I’ve fallen in love with the gorgeous weather and abundance of food trucks.
Romantic and Foolhardy Wanderer
- Why do you travel? To experience the world in all its terrible, staggering wonder.
- What’s one thing you never travel without? It’s a bit corny but I like to be reading a book that’s set in or related to my destination.
- What’s on your travel bucket list? See the Northern Lights in Iceland, climb the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, visit the Pyramids of Giza, explore the Roman Colosseum, and wander the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.
- What’s currently on your airplane playlist? St. Vincent, Janelle Monáe, and Lizzo tend to dominate. I get stir-crazy really quickly so I need music that crackles with energy to distract from the cabin fever.
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be? In a perfect world I would split my time between a walkable Los Angeles neighborhood with easy access to a repertory movie theater and a secluded Big Sur hideaway.
- Where’s your favorite beach in the world? Assateague Island. There’s something beautifully surreal about sharing a day at the beach with a group of wild ponies.
- What are your favorite countries, destinations to travel to? Regions with storied histories and robust drinking cultures.
- What is your favorite time of year to travel? Autumn. As much as I love sunny California I crave a good nip in the air.
- What items do you always try to bring back as souvenirs? I collect postcards! They’re easy, carry-on friendly mementos.
- What's your first travel memory? The fragrant chill of dimly-lit barrel rooms and gray-green lizards searching for patches of sun. My parents visited Napa and Sonoma for work with me and my brother in tow.
Now You Can Set Sail for the Marvel Universe
The Marvel Day at Sea celebrates the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe....
South America’s Biggest Aquarium Set to Open in Brazil
The AquaRio’s underwater tunnel gives guests an unprecedented view of marine life....
Arts & Culture
Russian Observatory Hosts Exhibit Where Art and the Cosmos Collide
The former Special Astrophysical Observatory is now home to an out of this world art installation....