Senior Editor, Special Projects
Originally from Chicago, I've lived in Amsterdam and San Francisco, and I used to be a professional cook. Now I live in Brooklyn with my wife and daughter, drink cocktails as time allows, love grocery shopping, and putter in the kitchen every weekend.
Food & Drink Explorer
- Why do you travel? To satiate my curiosity.
- What’s one thing you never travel without? My passport.
- What was your worst travel experience? I've endured food and water poisoning in multiple countries—it is the worst but I just can't help eating questionable dishes.
- Where did you have your most unforgettable meal? The pig we roasted on the beach for our wedding celebration in Portugal. Best meal ever!
- What is your favorite time of year to travel? It depends entirely on the destination, but I do like to venture out on the off-season when fewer travelers are on the road.
- What will always earn a spot in your carry-on? A wacky food product that I've picked up a local grocery store.
- What are your favorite countries, destinations to travel to? Portugal. I go back every year and never tire of it.
- If you had limitless funds, what would be your dream destination? Traveling on the Silk Road—from Xian to Black Sea.
- What's the most unusual place you have stayed on a trip? A brothel in a small factory town in China that didn't allow foreigners. We boarded the wrong bus and got stuck there for a night.
- If you could take a 3-month sabbatical, where would you go? Brazil for a language immersion course.