World's Most Expensive Cities for Expats
As does happen every election season, this year nervous members of the electorate swore up and down that if their candidate didn't win, they were absolutely leaving the country (for real this time). JetBlue even ran a giveaway offering flights to disgruntled voters. Well, if relocation is still on your mind, take a look at this list before boxing up your Golden Girls collectible dinnerware.
Eurocost International has released their top 30 most expensive cities for expats. Tokyo, Luanda, and Moscow take the top three spots, respectively, while Europe has its first hit with London in the fifth spot. You won't find a euro zone city at any spot in the top 30, as the depreciation of the currency against the rest of the world booted cities like Paris and Amsterdam off the list.
The survey was conducted in June of this year and, according to Eurocost, takes into account costs of living, including rent but not health or school, for expatriates around the world. Some of the results, says the company, are due to "inflation differential" between countries, but the biggest factor is changes in exchange rates (hence the euro zone dip and the bumping of London from 11th place to 5th place this year).
Other members of the top ten include Singapore (#4), Hong Kong (#6), Sydney (#7), Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (#8), Geneva (#9), and Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (#10).
Check out the full list of the 30 priciest cities.
Photo of Tokyo via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1049 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. 'Kids Stay Free' Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $519 & up -- Cabo & Puerto Vallarta 7-Night CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $3999 -- Balcony: Luxe Italy, Greece & Croatia Cruise w/AirOceania Cruises
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1799 & up -- Melbourne & Sydney 8-Nt. Trip w/Air, Save $760Goway Travel
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations