World's First Gelato Museum Opens in Italy
Last week in the town of Anzola dell'Emilia outside Bologna, Italy, history was made. Delicious, frozen history. Carpigiani, a gelato-maker manufacturer, opened the doors to the Carpigiani Gelato Museum. History buffs and ice cream lovers everywhere all screamed for Italian ice cream.
"The objective of the Carpigiani Gelato Museum is to become a point of reference for the sector, to highlight the roots and history of this quality food and the gelato artisans that produce it, bringing excellence, creativity, and flavor to customers worldwide," said Romano Verardi, President of the Bruto and Poerio Carpigiani Foundation in a statement to the press.
The museum, connected to the Carpigiani headquarters, is 1,000 square meters of gelato history, featuring 20 original gelato machines and 10,000 images and artifacts curated from the vast and enduring history of this delightful treat. According to a report by Reuters, the exhibits take visitors from the early days of the Arabic "shrb" or sugar syrup through the first ice cream presented by Cosimo Ruggieri, alchemist to the Medicis, in the 16th century, to the iced creations of Chinese tradition, to early automatic gelato machines from the 1930s.
Once visitors have tempted their tastebuds with 1,000 square meters of flavorful facts, they will be able to purchase gelato at a shop outside the museum. Anything less would be sadistic on the part of the company, really.
Photo Credits: Photos courtesy of Gelato Museum Carpigiani
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Great news it is. This museum will be one of the nice places to visit in Itlay. Thank you very much for sharing this information here with us.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1417 & up -- 6-Nt. Ireland Bed & Breakfast Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1469 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $89 & up -- Ends Sunday: Last-Minute Summer Fares, One WayVirgin America
- $105-135 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% OffHomewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown