World's First Gelato Museum Opens in Italy
Last week in the town of Anzola dell'Emilia outside Bologna, Italy, history was made. Delicious, frozen history. Carpigiani, a gelato-maker manufacturer, opened the doors to the Carpigiani Gelato Museum. History buffs and ice cream lovers everywhere all screamed for Italian ice cream.
"The objective of the Carpigiani Gelato Museum is to become a point of reference for the sector, to highlight the roots and history of this quality food and the gelato artisans that produce it, bringing excellence, creativity, and flavor to customers worldwide," said Romano Verardi, President of the Bruto and Poerio Carpigiani Foundation in a statement to the press.
The museum, connected to the Carpigiani headquarters, is 1,000 square meters of gelato history, featuring 20 original gelato machines and 10,000 images and artifacts curated from the vast and enduring history of this delightful treat. According to a report by Reuters, the exhibits take visitors from the early days of the Arabic "shrb" or sugar syrup through the first ice cream presented by Cosimo Ruggieri, alchemist to the Medicis, in the 16th century, to the iced creations of Chinese tradition, to early automatic gelato machines from the 1930s.
Once visitors have tempted their tastebuds with 1,000 square meters of flavorful facts, they will be able to purchase gelato at a shop outside the museum. Anything less would be sadistic on the part of the company, really.
Photo Credits: Photos courtesy of Gelato Museum Carpigiani
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Great news it is. This museum will be one of the nice places to visit in Itlay. Thank you very much for sharing this information here with us.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand