Wikipedia to Launch Travel Site Wikivoyage
Looking for travel recommendations from fellow adventurers? (Isn't that why you read Fodors?) Wikipedia plans to formally launch a new travel site, Wikivoyage, this week, according to travel site Skift. The site will operate the same way as Wiki's other sites, including its eschewing of advertising.
Users will be able to update information, recommendations, and tips on destination pages, as well as add to language guides and itineraries. The site, still currently in beta, is already stocked with more than 25,000 articles. The homepage features "Destination of the Month," "Off the Beaten Path," and "Featured Travel Topic" sections designed to link to new travel ideas, while destination pages are organized by a "geological hierarchy" leading users from continents down to city districts.
Check out Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales explaining the new service on comedian Stephen Colbert's show last Monday.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
Photo credit: Courtesy of Wikivoyage
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Walking Food Tours Around the U.S.
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $278 & up -- Manhattan Westin near Grand Central, Save 10%The Westin New York Grand Central
- $919* & up -- Flights to South Africa on Sale (R/T w/Tax)South African Airways
- $125 & up -- Downtown St. Louis Hotel, 60% OffSheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites
- $99-$109 -- Downtown Memphis Hotel on Weekdays, 35% OffSheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
- $99 & up -- Colorado: West Denver Hotel, 30% OffSheraton Denver West Hotel
- $309 & up -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa