Wikipedia to Launch Travel Site Wikivoyage
Looking for travel recommendations from fellow adventurers? (Isn't that why you read Fodors?) Wikipedia plans to formally launch a new travel site, Wikivoyage, this week, according to travel site Skift. The site will operate the same way as Wiki's other sites, including its eschewing of advertising.
Users will be able to update information, recommendations, and tips on destination pages, as well as add to language guides and itineraries. The site, still currently in beta, is already stocked with more than 25,000 articles. The homepage features "Destination of the Month," "Off the Beaten Path," and "Featured Travel Topic" sections designed to link to new travel ideas, while destination pages are organized by a "geological hierarchy" leading users from continents down to city districts.
Check out Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales explaining the new service on comedian Stephen Colbert's show last Monday.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
Photo credit: Courtesy of Wikivoyage
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- $895 -- Norway: Northern Lights Winter Expedition, $800 OffHurtigruten
- $72 & up -- Portland Hotel Deals up to 55% OffTravel Portland
- $899 -- Andes & South America 16-Night Cruise on PrincessPrincess Cruises
- $1349 -- Balcony: Alaska Cruise w/All Drinks & $600 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1170 & up -- Weeklong Irish Castle Escape w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $265 & up -- 4-Star Cancun Resort w/$50 Credit, Save 20%The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun