Wikipedia to Launch Travel Site Wikivoyage
Looking for travel recommendations from fellow adventurers? (Isn't that why you read Fodors?) Wikipedia plans to formally launch a new travel site, Wikivoyage, this week, according to travel site Skift. The site will operate the same way as Wiki's other sites, including its eschewing of advertising.
Users will be able to update information, recommendations, and tips on destination pages, as well as add to language guides and itineraries. The site, still currently in beta, is already stocked with more than 25,000 articles. The homepage features "Destination of the Month," "Off the Beaten Path," and "Featured Travel Topic" sections designed to link to new travel ideas, while destination pages are organized by a "geological hierarchy" leading users from continents down to city districts.
Check out Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales explaining the new service on comedian Stephen Colbert's show last Monday.
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
Photo credit: Courtesy of Wikivoyage
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 13 Family-Friendly Hotels for Your Next Big Vacation
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally | Fodor's
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- $639* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $149 & up -- SoCal: Carlsbad Resort near Legoland, 40% OffSheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
- $178 & up -- Holidays at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $95-$115 -- Downtown St. Louis Hotel, 60% OffSheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $53 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa