Where to Stay for the Super Bowl
by Devorah Lev-Tov
Let the games begin! Set to unfold at the home of the New York Giants and Jets, MetLife Stadium, in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the Super Bowl XLVIII will be played February 2. While lots of nearby hotels are already booked up, some of the best options are still available, especially if you are taking public transportation (like a New Jersey Transit train or Fan Express shuttle bus), which we highly recommend. Check out our picks for the six best places to stay in New Jersey for Super Bowl weekend, along with tips on how to get to the game from each spot.
1. Hanover Marriott Hotel
Central New Jersey's Hanover Marriott (from $199/night) is about 30 miles from MetLife Stadium. With sleek, modern decor and a fitness center and indoor pool, this top-rated 353-room hotel makes the perfect affordable home base for your Super Bowl weekend. The lobby was recently renovated and there is an on-site restaurant serving breakfast, as well as a popular Irish pub, the Auld Shebeen, offering lunch and dinner.
Getting to the Game: The Hanover Marriott is one of three New Jersey pick-up sites for the Fan Express shuttle bus ($51) going to the game, making this our top affordable hotel pick for game weekend.
2. Meadowlands River Inn
You can't get much closer to the action than this: Meadowlands River Inn (from $359/night) is just three miles from the stadium, and 12 miles from Newark Liberty International Airport. Free Wi-Fi, hot breakfast, and on-site parking, plus a fitness center, give you everything you need to have a comfortable stay in one of their 151 rooms. Plus, for a jaunt into NYC, Times Square is four miles away and easily accessible by public transportation.
Getting to the Game: The Fan Express shuttle bus picks guests up across at the street at the Plaza at Harmon Meadow shopping center.
3. Westminster Hotel
Since the W Hoboken is already booked, try the equally hip Westminster Hotel (from $349/night), a boutique accommodation in Livingston that's been rated the ninth best hotel in New Jersey by U.S. News and World Report. There's a state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi, spa, and on-site steakhouse restaurant. The 183 luxurious and trendy rooms feature spa-quality bath products, a work space with an ergonomic Herman Miller chair, separate sitting area, and comfy Hollandia International beds.
Getting to the Game: Take the New Jersey Transit #872 bus, or drive to the nearby Hanover Marriott, a pick-up site for the Fan Express shuttle bus.
4. Budget One-Bedroom, Airbnb
You can't beat the price at this charmingly updated Union City Airbnb one-bedroom apartment (from $65/night), featuring hardwood floors throughout, a modern kitchen, comfortable living room, and wireless Internet. There are many public transit options for getting to New York City, and the surrounding neighborhood has some delicious Latin American restaurants.
Getting to the Game: Take the New Jersey Transit #89 bus to Hoboken Terminal, where you can catch a New Jersey Transit train to the stadium.
5. Six-Person House, Airbnb
Bring a crowd and enjoy the comforts of home in this attractively decorated house (from $1,000/night) in Rutherford that has a fully equipped eat-in kitchen, dining room, spacious living area, two updated bathrooms, one room with a queen bed and one with a full bed, plus a pull-out sofa in the finished basement and an air mattress available upon request. Wireless Internet and cable TV are also included.
Getting to the Game: Take the New Jersey Transit train from nearby Kingsland Station to the stadium.
6. Stylish One-Bedroom, Airbnb
This tastefully renovated one-bedroom apartment (from $300/night) in trendy Hoboken has appealing details like exposed brick walls, a fireplace, large picture window, and deck, as well as modern furniture and an updated kitchen. There's also cable TV and Wi-Fi, as well as a washer and dryer. Enjoy the fabulous shops, restaurants, and nightlife that Hoboken has to offer, as well as the easy accessibility to New York City.
Getting to the Game: Take the New Jersey Transit train from nearby Hoboken Terminal to the stadium.
Photo credits: Hanover Marriott, courtesy of Hanover Marriott; Westminster Hotel, courtesy of Edward Jacoby; Airbnb Rutherford House, courtesy of Jason Kurtz
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $89 -- 4-Star Orlando Resort through Summer w/Wi-Fi, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1083* & up -- KLM: Fly to Africa from the U.S. (R/T, w/Tax)KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines
- $7399 -- Luxury Mediterranean Cruise w/Excursions & R/T AirRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $769 & up -- Cancun: Iberostar Garden Bungalow Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $3599 -- Balcony: Weeklong Mediterranean Cruise w/AirfareOceania Cruises