Load Up on Local Cherries in Montana
As you get into northwestern Montana, perhaps heading to Glacier National Park, you may be tempted to stop at one of the scores of huckleberry vendors in the area who sell jams, jellies, candy, lip balm, and all manner of goods flavored by this favorite of the local grizzly bears. But you read Fodor's, which means you don't go in for tourist traps.
Instead, make your savvy stop on Route 93 at Flathead Lake at one of the myriad unimposing cherry stands for a bag (or maybe several bags) of local, phenomenal, delicious, and otherwise out-of-this-world cherries. Cherry orchards are visible from the road, running along the circumference of the lake, and farmers have scads of ripe, sweet cherries available at ramshackle roadside stands. Hand-painted signs begin to pop up along as you approach the lake, so you won't miss your chance. I recently picked up a large bag for $6, which lasted about three days among three hungry hikers.
If you are camping, as we were, here's a trick to keeping your cherries fresh, straight from one of the orchard owners. Keep the bag of cherries OPEN in your cooler and you should get a week out of them. If you can keep from devouring them for that long.
Photo credit: Cherries from Flathead Lake, Montana via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $689 & up -- Cancun: All-Incl. 'Dreams' Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $105-$115 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 25%Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1275 & up -- Rome, Florence & Venice 7 Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $743* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines