What We're Reading This Week: A Dynamic Duo, NYC Cheap Eats, 'Into Thin Air'
A recent piece by Joshua Wolf Shenk in The Atlantic, "The Power of Two," is an inspirational portrait of the famous partnership between John Lennon and Paul McCartney that examines the creative, symbiotic power of teamwork. —Kristan Schiller, Editor, Cities and Cultural Destinations
You never know what gems you might find on vacation house bookshelves. I recently picked up John Krakauer's Into Thin Air and am finding it to be the perfect summer read. It's suspenseful, informative, and extremely well written. By now, this tale of a catastrophic expedition up Mount Everest in 1996 is a classic, but that doesn't make it any less of a page turner.—Salwa Jabado, Senior Editor, Countryside and Adventure
I'm a month behind Random House's book club, so I'm reading their May selection, Leaving the Sea, by Ben Marcus. I'm loving it and looking forward to a lively discussion with myself. —Eric Wechter, Editor, Cruises and Resorts
For the first time since 2006, New York magazine has ranked the city's 101 best cheap eating establishments. The photos are drool-inducing, and the list an exciting reminder that you don't need to spend much to eat like a king in this town. —Michael Alan Connelly, Editor, Fodors.com
The World Cup is getting lots of attention these days but don't forget about tennis: the 2014 Wimbledon Championship, still played on grass, is in its second week. I got a kick out of this Melville House blog post about what tennis players read—and what they don't. —Caroline Trefler, Senior Editor, Cities and Cultural Destinations
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Products and Services Every Super Traveler Needs
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- 10 Best Outdoor Music Venues in the U.S.
- $5999 -- Australia Outback & Sydney Trip w/Air & TrainAspire Down Under
- $79 & up -- Waterville Valley, N.H. Hotel Sale up to 40% OffWaterville Valley Resort Association
- $116 & up -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 55% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $2299 -- Ireland Escorted 12-Night Spring VacationGlobus
- $61 & up -- Palm Springs Resorts up to 50% OffGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $149-$189 -- Cleveland: New 4-Star Hotel Downtown, 40% OffThe Westin Cleveland Downtown