What We're Reading This Week: A Dynamic Duo, NYC Cheap Eats, 'Into Thin Air'
A recent piece by Joshua Wolf Shenk in The Atlantic, "The Power of Two," is an inspirational portrait of the famous partnership between John Lennon and Paul McCartney that examines the creative, symbiotic power of teamwork. —Kristan Schiller, Editor, Cities and Cultural Destinations
You never know what gems you might find on vacation house bookshelves. I recently picked up John Krakauer's Into Thin Air and am finding it to be the perfect summer read. It's suspenseful, informative, and extremely well written. By now, this tale of a catastrophic expedition up Mount Everest in 1996 is a classic, but that doesn't make it any less of a page turner.—Salwa Jabado, Senior Editor, Countryside and Adventure
I'm a month behind Random House's book club, so I'm reading their May selection, Leaving the Sea, by Ben Marcus. I'm loving it and looking forward to a lively discussion with myself. —Eric Wechter, Editor, Cruises and Resorts
For the first time since 2006, New York magazine has ranked the city's 101 best cheap eating establishments. The photos are drool-inducing, and the list an exciting reminder that you don't need to spend much to eat like a king in this town. —Michael Alan Connelly, Editor, Fodors.com
The World Cup is getting lots of attention these days but don't forget about tennis: the 2014 Wimbledon Championship, still played on grass, is in its second week. I got a kick out of this Melville House blog post about what tennis players read—and what they don't. —Caroline Trefler, Senior Editor, Cities and Cultural Destinations
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $105-135 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $279 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $769 & up -- Cozumel: All-Incl. Adults Trip w/Air, $420 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $799 & up -- 4-Nt. Turks & Caicos Getaway w/Air, $210 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- Up to 10% Off -- Europe Car Rentals through SummerEnterprise
- $2009 -- Sydney & Brisbane 6-Night Vacation w/Air, $325 OffDelta Vacations