What to Wear: Fall Football Game
Whether you prefer college or pro, fall is football season, which means all eyes are on the gridiron. If you're traveling back to your alma mater for homecoming or snagged 50-yard seats for your local team, we have the perfect fan looks for you. (Incidentally, we have no plans if you happened to snag an extra ticket.)
The NFL has been making a big push to woo the ladies this season (see: advertisements featuring Melania Trump, Serena Williams, and even Condoleeza Rice in football jerseys). And it's a smart move, with women making up more than 45% of the viewers last Super Bowl. With all this attention on football fans of the fairer sex, you have more options than your ol' mannish, oversize jerseys. Instead, a collegiate spin is a coquette strategy plan. The NFL Shop offers fitted, customizable jerseys for every team ($139.99). (I'm going to the Jets here out of default.) Down low, go for slightly flared jeans, which flatter thighs and highlights curves—this Lucky Brand pair has a distressed wash that's perfect for the weekend ($129)—a nice contrast to the testosterone-driven sport. For footwear, choose comfortable boots for all that standing and cheering. Cole Haan's slouch boot ($378) conveniently has Nike Air technology in the sole. And for brisk fall weather, you can really dive deep into your college years with a stadium pea coat ($278). If you're up for a color, J.Crew offers a good selection of brights, but a light gray works with just about everything.
What's a game without some fan accessories? Cheerleader pom-poms ($6.95) are budget-friendly and eye-catching when done in color and metallic. Reference the shape in your cold weather gear like this pom pom-topped hat woven with strands of Lurex ($14.95). For chillier days, loop on this rabbit fur scarf ($450), which has handy pockets for your iPhone and cash, or just to keep your hands warm. Lastly, as spotted on several Olympians recently, party nails are all the rage. Do yours up in your team's colors ($14 nail polish in peacock green).
Considering that most football items are aimed at men, getting dressed is a fairly simple affair. There are some fresh options, though, like team tees featuring athletic wear technology. They clearly know that cheering is a sport all its own. This long-sleeve football shirt by Nike ($80) wicks away sweat while keeping you toasty. The usual move might be to throw on a hoodie, but go the Andrew Luck (Indianapolis Colts's new QB, of course) route and try a plaid flannel on top instead. This cerulean pattern ($19.97) matches the Seahawks's colors. For warmth, add a sleeved jacket if necessary. This style by skate brand RVCA with built-in puffer vest is ideal for multiple sports ($49.99). For below the waist, relaxed gray jeans like this comfy pair by AG Adriano Goldschmied will go with just about any team color ($225). Wear them with brown hiker-style lace boots; this sturdy style by Danner has blue laces ($340) to match your outfit. Go Seahawks!
Especially if your team plays outdoors in freezing climes, heat packs ($12.79 for 12 pairs) may be your best stadium friend. Stock up with smaller packs that you can slip into your classic oatmeal gloves with suede palms ($19.99). Vintage team gear is also hot and these retro-style beanies will keep your dome warm while giving your bleacher outfit another look ($21.99). Lastly, don't leave home without your homemade sign. If you're rushed for time, this foam finger with your team logo will do the trick ($9.87).
Women: Clothing: Top left, Cole Haan; Bottom left, NFL Enterprises LLC; Center, Lucky Brand; Right, J. Crew. Accessories: Top left, Omnicheer; Bottom left, Gap Inc.; Center, Sephora USA, Inc.; Right, glamourpussnyc.com. Men: Clothing: Top left, SWELL; Bottom left, Eddie Bauer LLC; Top center, NIKE, INC.; Bottom center, LANDS' END; Right, Neiman Marcus. Accessories: Left, center, and bottom right, Amazon.com, Inc.; Top right, FansEdge, Inc.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand